COVID-19 Resources by Pharmacy Topic Area
Pharmacists' Clinical Care of Patients
- NIH: COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines: NIH developed these treatment guidelines to inform clinicians how to care for patients with COVID-19.
- ADA: American Diabetes Association Town Hall: COVID-19 & Inpatient Care for People with Diabetes: An expert panel from the American Diabetes Association discusses the management of diabetes patients hospitalized with COVID-19 infection.
- CDC: Guidance for People with Asthma and COVID-19: A CDC resource guide for people with moderate to severe asthma who may be at higher risk of getting very sick from COVID-19.
- CDC: Guidance for COVID-19: What People with HIV Should Know: A CDC resource guide for people with HIV who may be concerned about their risk of getting very sick from COVID-19.
- CDC: COVID-19: What Older Adults Need to Know: A CDC short video for older adults about how to prevent infection with COVID-19 and what plans to have in place in case of infection.
- CDC: 10 Ways to Manage Respiratory Symptoms at Home: A CDC brief overview of how to manage symptoms of COVID-19 at home and how to prevent from spreading the virus to others.
- The Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists: Videos on Treatment Options for COVID-19: A series of short videos from the Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists that provide an overview of treatment options for COVID-19 and pertinent drug information.
- IDStewardship.com: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources for Pharmacists: A compilation from IDStewardship.com of insights, guidelines, and resources to inform pharmacists about treatment options for COVID-19 and other clinical considerations.
- FDA: COVID-19 Drugs: Find links to FDA information about drug shortages, compounding, fraudulent activity, treatment and more.
Managing Your Pharmacy
- OSHA: COVID-19 Guidance for Retail Pharmacies
- CDC: Considerations for Pharmacies During the COVID-19 Pandemic: This CDC guidance applies to all pharmacy staff to minimize their risk of exposure to the virus and reduce the risk for customers during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- CDC: Get Your Clinic Ready for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): This CDC resource connects the steps taken to protect patients and healthcare workers from flu in the clinic setting to steps that can be taken to protect against COVID-19 infection.
- OSHA: Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19: The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) developed this COVID-19 planning guidance based on traditional infection prevention and industrial hygiene practices.
- Policy and Medicine: State Health Department Guidance for COVID-19: View the U.S. State Department’s list of 51 state health department websites and state specific resources specific for COVID-19.
- CDC: Healthcare Professional Preparedness Checklist For Transport and Arrival of Patients With Confirmed or Possible COVID-19: This CDC checklist highlights key steps for health care personnel in preparation for transport and arrival of patients with confirmed or possible COVID-19.
- CDC: Resources to Hang or Distribute in Your Pharmacy (e.g., Posters, Fact Sheets, Patient Take-Home Materials): Access printable CDC coronavirus resources to hang or distribute in pharmacy practice settings.
- CDC: Criteria for Return to Work for Healthcare Personnel with Confirmed or Suspected COVID-19 (Interim Guidance): This CDC guidance helps inform decisions about returning to work for health care personnel with confirmed COVID-19, or who have suspected COVID-19.
- FDA: Coronavirus Testing Basics: Learn more about the different types of tests for COVID-19 and the steps involved in this FDA resource for everyone.
- HHS: Guidance authorizing pharmacists to order and administer COVID-19 tests: View HHS guidance authorizing licensed pharmacists to order and administer COVID-19 tests that FDA has authorized.
- CMS: How to obtain a CLIA Certificate of Waiver and the form to fill out to be a "lab": To offer testing for COVID-19, pharmacies may need to obtain a CLIA Certificate of Waiver and fill out this CMS form to be considered a lab. This CMS resource outlines the process for pharmacists.
- HHS: Advisory Opinion Clarifying Pharmacists’ COVID-19 Testing in All States: HHS issued an advisory opinion concluding that licensed pharmacists may order and administer COVID-19 tests even in states that prohibit licensed pharmacists from ordering and administering these tests.
- CDC: Interim Guidelines for COVID-19 Antibody Testing: CDC's recommendations on the use of serologic tests to determine protective immunity and infectiousness among persons recently infected with SARS-CoV-2 will be updated as new information becomes available.
- USP: Hand Sanitizer Toolkit: This USP webpage addresses shortages of alcohol-based hand sanitizers associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.
Pharmacist Well-Being and Resilience
- CDC: Reducing Stigma During COVID-19: This CDC resource explores the impact of stigma during the COVID-19 pandemic and provides strategies to help reduce this stigma.
- CDC: Emergency Responders: Tips for Taking Care of Yourself: This CDC resource provides some important steps responders can take to ensure they are able to do their job and cope with challenging situations.
- APhA: COVID-19 Financial Considerations (Financial Education Webinar): In this APhA webinar, Certified Financial Planner, Tim Baker addresses questions and concerns surrounding investment guidance, work uncertainty, student loan repayment, and more.
- ADA: Help with Insulin Is a Phone Call Away: If your patients are struggling to pay for insulin and diabetes medication, ADA has consolidated the resources they need to find help.
- CDC: Pandemic Vaccine Program Distribution, Tracking, and Monitoring: This CDC resource for state health department planning of vaccinations during COVID-19 is a framework that will guide influenza and COVID-19 vaccination efforts at the state level.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some frequently asked questions from the CDC regarding topics pertaining to COVID-19.
- CDC: COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions
- CDC: Healthcare Professionals: Frequently Asked Questions and Answers on COVID-19
- CDC: Frequently Asked Questions about Hand Hygiene for Healthcare Personnel Responding to COVID-2019
These COVID-19 resources are supported in part by: