A community pharmacy residency program is a post-graduate advanced training opportunity where you’ll work alongside cutting-edge pharmacists who have developed and implemented patient care services. This opportunity will help you hone your clinical skills and prepare you for a role as a pharmacy leader.
Why establish a Community Pharmacy Residency program?
Community Pharmacy Residency Programs offer a host of benefits, including:
- Demonstrate your commitment to leadership in the profession by advancing pharmacy as a patient–centered profession.
- Increasing the number of well-trained pharmacists prepared to work in expanding patient care roles and providing additional opportunities to recruit pharmacists.
What is a community pharmacy residency program (CPRP)?
- An advanced training opportunity (after graduation) to work with cutting-edge pharmacists in the community pharmacy setting
- An opportunity for direct patient contact and to learn how to develop patient care services and hone patient care skills
- A program to prepare you to become a practice change agent - a leader and innovator in community pharmacy practice
To enhance the quality of existing or start-up residency programs, check out APhA's Residency Training Programs:
- APhA Systematic Curriculum Design and Implementation (SCDI) for Community-based Pharmacy Residency Education and Training - Note: Community Practice Residency Learning System (CPRLS) is no longer available. APhA SCDI is a new, innovative program based on sound principles of educational theory and curricular design, and expands upon other pharmacy specific residency design models.
- Meeting the Requirements for Residency Accreditation: PGY1 Community-based
- Accreditation Resources
A complete list of resources for the accreditation of PGY1 Community-based Pharmacy Residency Programs, including Standards; Outcomes, Goals, & Objectives; and Accreditation Survey Visit documents.
- Postgraduate Year 1 Community Pharmacy Residency Program Implementation Guide
A comprehensive guide outlining the steps of implementation of a community pharmacy residency program, including: the decision to start a program; planning and development; program marketing and recruitment; implementation; and accreditation and quality assessment. Click here to order a hard copy.
- School PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency Brochure
Schools and colleges of pharmacy can benefit tremendously from engaging in PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency training programs. Valuable information on the benefits to schools and colleges is presented along with profiles of key leaders trained in community pharmacy residencies.
- Practice Site PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency Brochure
Pharmacy practice sites serving ambulatory patients can benefit tremendously from engaging in PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency training programs. Valuable information for pharmacy practice sites is presented with profiles of sites and key leaders trained in community pharmacy residencies.
- Student PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency Brochure
If you are exploring types of residencies learn valuable information about PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency training options.
- Value of Residency Training Article
A comprehensive, scientific examination of the value of PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency Programs published in the Journal of the American Pharmacists Association.