APhA Statement on Commitment to the Well-being and Resiliency of Pharmacists and Pharmacy Personnel
Founded in 1852, APhA is the largest association of pharmacists in the United States and is the only organization supporting the entire profession, including pharmacists, pharmaceutical scientists, student pharmacists, and pharmacy technicians as members. APhA is the organization whose members are recognized in society as essential in all patient care settings for optimal medication use that improves health, wellness, and quality of life. Through information, education, and advocacy APhA empowers its members to improve medication use and advance patient care.
To this end, APhA is committed to promoting and maintaining the well-being and resilience of all pharmacists, student pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, and pharmaceutical scientists in all practice settings to preserve pharmacy’s efforts in optimizing health outcomes.
APhA recognizes that the well-being and resiliency of pharmacists and pharmacy personnel are preserved, and the delivery of their services is optimized when …
- they are enabled to be effective healthcare providers who are valued, respected, and supported by payers, patients, policy-makers, employers, and members of the healthcare team;
- they can fully utilize their education, knowledge and training to positively impact patients’ lives and the effectiveness of the healthcare team;
- administrative burdens are decreased and/or manageable by appropriate support from management/employers;
- they can practice in supportive environments with adequate resources (including sufficient staff) to perform their patient care services;
- coverage for the medication use process supports and encourages the provision of quality patient care services;
- they can regularly engage in their profession and establish collegial relationships with pharmacists outside of their own practice site; and,
- they are empowered to identify and achieve their work-life balance by aligning personal and well-being goals with their chosen workplace.
Through advocacy, research, and education, APhA is committed to raising public awareness, and enhancing pharmacy’s efforts to preserve the well-being and resilience of all members of the healthcare team.
Approved by APhA Board of Trustees – November 10, 2018