COVID-19 Resources and Training for You
Addressing the COVID-19 Crisis: An Open Forum Webinar Series for Pharmacists are weekly webinars conducted every Thursday from 1:00 pm–2:00 pm ET. Each open forum webinar is moderated by APhA President Michael Hogue.
- July 9: Register for the webinar. Learn the latest on how the virus spreads and progresses, risk factors, and other considerations about COVID-19 infection. This webinar will highlight the role of epidemiology in community protection and how pharmacists can play a role in community surveillance.
- June 25: Access the recording and view the slides. This week featured Dan Zlott, APhA Vice President, Professional Education Resources, who discussed the latest information on medications being studied for COVID-19 prevention and treatment. Information on late-breaking updates also was available.
- June 11: Access the recording and view the slides. This week's guest speakers focused on telehealth services and discussed emerging opportunities for pharmacists to reach at-need populations using telehealth during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond. APhA staff also provided an update on CDC’s Interim Guidance for Immunization Services During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- June 4: Access the recording and view the slides. A panel of pharmacists discussed innovative strategies for providing effective senior care in the outpatient and community settings during the COVID-19 pandemic. APhA staff also provided an update on new revisions to CDC’s Guidance for Pharmacies.
- May 28: Access the recording and view the slides. This week addressed national recommendations for pharmacists providing immunizations during the pandemic, considerations for the upcoming fall season, and an update on COVID-19 vaccine development. Our guest speaker was Dr. L.J. Tan, Chief Strategy Officer for the Immunization Action Coalition. APhA staff also provided an update on billing and payment for COVID-19 testing.
- May 21: Access the recording and view the slides. This week focused on the latest information for antibody testing, how to evaluate antibody tests, and implications for pharmacists. Our guest speakers included Dr. Paul Herrmann, MD, PhD, of Loma Linda University, and Dr. Dan Zlott, APhA Vice President, Professional Education Resources.
- May 14: Access the recording and view the slides. This week focused on pharmacist well-being and resilience during COVID-19. Our featured speaker was Dr. Ken Duckworth, Chief Medical Officer, joining us from the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI).
- May 7: Access the recording and view the slides. Two front-line practitioners shared their perspectives on pharmacy practice during COVID-19 in both the community and health-system settings. The webinar also addressed the latest information on the clinical and regulatory fronts.
- April 30: Access the recording and view the slides. An overview of compounding, including how it relates to drug shortages, featured three FDA representatives from the Center of Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) in the Office of Compliance.
- April 23: Access the recording and view the slides. This webinar provided an update on the most recent evidence for medications being studied for COVID-19. We were also joined by Tennessee pharmacist Beth Bryan, PharmD, for her front-line perspective on launching COVID-19 testing in a community pharmacy.
- April 16: Access the recording and view the slides. In this webinar, the guest speaker was American Medical Group Association (AMGA) Chief Medical Officer John Kennedy. We were also joined by National Alliance of State Pharmacy Associations Executive Vice President and CEO Rebecca Snead.
- April 9: Access the recording and view the slides. In this webinar, NABP Executive Director Carmen Catizone discussed the changes that are happening related to pharmacists’ scope of practice and other pharmacy practice areas like prescription dispensing in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- April 2: Access the recording and view the slides. This webinar focused on COVID-19 Tests: Fraudulent Activity Related to Tests and Medical Products.
- March 26: Access the recording and view the slides. This webinar focused on the Safety of Pharmacists and Pharmacy Staff During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
APhA’s 15 on COVID-19 series is designed to help you separate fact from fiction, and rumor from hypothesis, so that you will have the answers you need to educate yourself, your colleagues, and your patients about COVID-19. Each episode is 15–20 minutes long and is approved for CPE for pharmacists and pharmacy technicians.
- June 12: COVID-19 has resulted in a major shift in the health care landscape, particularly the telehealth landscape. Join us as our guest host, APhA President-elect Sandra Leal, takes us through some of these recent changes and what we can do to retain the advances that pharmacy has made in the telehealth arena.
- June 5: The FDA issued an Emergency Use Authorization for remdesivir for the treatment of COVID-19 on May 1, 2020. Until recently, the data that resulted in the EUA were not available. Join us for today's 15 on COVID-19 episode as we take a closer look at the trial details and the resulting data.
- June 1: Have you heard that hydroxychloroquine is associated with increased risk of mortality and cardiac arrhythmia? Join us for today's 15 on COVID-19 episode as we take a deeper look at the study that generated this information as well as some of the concerns that have been raised about the study.
- May 22: Has recent news spurred a surge of questions about the use of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 prophylaxis? Join is for today’s episode of 15 on COVID-19 as we explore this strange confluence of science and politics and focus on what the available data are actually telling us about the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 prophylaxis.
- May 18: How many people who are exposed to COVID-19 disease will develop antibodies against the virus? Is it possible to be reinfected with COVID-19? If you or your patients have been asking these questions, be sure to join us for today’s 15 on COVID-19 episode as we review what the currently available data have to tell us.
- May 15: Have you heard that patients with COVID-19 are at increased risk of clots? In today’s 15 on COVID-19 episode, we examine the available evidence, and also review the literature to determine if there is any benefit to anticoagulation in patients with COVID-19.
- May 8: As many as 12% of patients who are hospitalized for COVID-19 require mechanical ventilation. As the COVID-19 pandemic hits different areas of the country, some hospitals are reporting shortages of key medications used to keep intubated patients sedated. Join us for today’s 15 on COVID-19 episode as we examine strategies to maximize the availability of key medications for intubated patients.
- May 4: Wherever you look, it seems that remdesivir is back in the news. Join us for today’s 15 on COVID-19 episode as we examine the results of two randomized, placebo-controlled trials looking at remdesivir for the treatment of COVID-19.
- May 1: Many patients are looking for ways to protect themselves from COVID-19, and are looking to their pharmacist for advice. One of the most common questions that pharmacists are getting is about Vitamin C. Join us for today’s 15 on COVID-19 episode, as we examine the available data regarding the use of Vitamin-C in COVID-19.
- April 27: One of the most frequent COVID-19 questions that pharmacists are receiving is about the use of zinc in COVID-19. Join us for today’s episode as we examine the literature and discover what it tells us about the role of zinc in COVID-19.
- April 24: New information and new rumors about COVID-19 continue to come out every day. Join us for today’s episode as we dispel some recent rumors about remdesivir, as well as revisit some of the physical properties of the COVID-19 virus itself, such as aerosolization properties and surface stability.
- April 20: Join us for today’s 15 on COVID-19 episode as we finish our review of the new literature examining the clinical efficacy of hydroxychloroquine in COVID-19. Two new randomized, controlled trials offer new insights in the potential role of this much-hyped, often talked about antimalarial drug that has become one of the mainstays of COVID-19 therapy.
- April 17: Information about COVID-19 is exploding everywhere. Join us as we revisit hydroxychloroquine and examine the new literature that has been released since our inaugural episode in late March. There are several new studies that shed new light on the role of hydroxychloroquine in COVID-19.
- April 13: Recently, there have been an increasing number of news stories focusing on convalescent plasma as a potential therapy for COVID-19. Join us for today’s 15 on COVID-19 episode, where we explore the potential advantages, disadvantages, available evidence, and unanswered questions about convalescent plasma in COVID-19 disease.
- April 10: We have been hearing about COVID-19 testing almost nonstop since the COVID-19 outbreak began. Recently, pharmacists were granted authority to administer COVID-19 tests. Are you looking for information about how these tests work and what some of the limitations of the different types of tests are? Join us for today’s 15 on COVID-19 episode to get the answers you’re looking for.
- April 6: Tocilizumab is a drug used to treat a variety of autoimmune disorders; however, you may have been hearing a lot about its role in COVID-19 lately. Curious as to why an antirheumatic drug would be useful in COVID-19? Join us for today’s episode of 15 on COVID-19 as we find the connection.
- April 3: Have you been hearing about remdesivir as a potential treatment for COVID-19? Are you looking to learn more about remsdesivir and how it works? Get answers to these questions and more in this episode of 15 on COVID-19, where we explore the role of remdesivir in the treatment of COVID-19.
- March 30: Are patients asking about whether or not they should continue ACE-inhibitor or ARB therapy in light of the COVID-19 pandemic? Get answers to this question and more in this episode of 15 on COVID-19, where we explore the connection between ACE-inhibitors and ARBs to COVID-19.
- March 27: Confused about whether or not it’s safe to use NSAIDs in COVID-19 disease? You’re not alone. Join us for today’s 15 on COVID-19 episode, where we will review the available data, as well as the series of events that has resulted in so much confusion about the role of NSAIDs in COVID-19 disease.
- March 24: Trying to wrap your mind around the basics of COVID-19 amidst all the information, news, and rumors that are swirling out there? Join us for today's 15 on COVID-19 episode, where we will provide a broad overview of COVID-19.
- March 23: Governments around the world, including the U.S. government, are considering the use of chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19. Join us for the inaugural episode of APhA’s 15 on COVID-19 series as we wade through the available data to find answers and separate fact from fiction.
Find timely, concise information in our growing library of practice resources.