APhA COVID-19 Resources: Know the Facts
Practical Information for Pharmacists to Know Now
Practicing on the Front Line
- COVID-19 Basics: What Pharmacy Personnel Need to Know During the COVID-19 Crisis: Knowing the basics of COVID-19 symptoms and prevention as well as indispensable information for practicing pharmacy and managing well-being will help you as a health care worker on the front line. (PDF)
- The NABP Passport: Facilitating Practice Across State Lines: What You Need to Know About the Temporary Emergency Licensure Process During the COVID-19 Pandemic: During this pandemic, many pharmacists have the desire to serve patients in communities that cross state lines and licensing jurisdictions. In response to this need, the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) has created an NABP Passport. (PDF)
- Engaging the Pharmacist Workforce to Address the COVID-19 Crisis: Opportunities for pharmacists are available via in-person or virtual formats to assist local communities or neighboring states. APhA encourages the pharmacist workforce to participate in such opportunities during this public health crisis. (PDF) - NEW!
Managing Your Pharmacy
- Tips for Protecting Community Pharmacists and Pharmacy Staff from COVID-19: Consider these tips for workflow improvements that can decrease the risk of exposure to infected patients. (PDF)
- COVID-19: Cleaning and Disinfecting: Taking Appropriate Measures to Reduce the Transmission of the Virus in Your Pharmacy Practice: Decontaminating surfaces in the pharmacy will be key to ongoing staff, personnel, and patient safety. (PDF)
- Managing Suspected Cases of COVID-19 in Ambulatory Care/Community Pharmacy Settings: All pharmacies should have an action plan—and pharmacy personnel should be ready to implement that plan. (PDF)
- COVID-19 Fraudulent Medical Products and Scams: Protecting Pharmacists and Patients: Don’t unsuspectingly fall prey to these offers, and be armed with information to warn your patients. Awareness also helps you ask your patients targeted questions if they describe unexpected side effects from drugs or unexplained symptoms. (PDF)
Preparing Your Health System
- Operational Approaches for Health-System Pharmacy Practice During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Lessons on Preparing and Adapting Your Health-System Pharmacy in the COVID-19 Crisis: The experiences of pharmacy leadership in a multihospital health system in the Houston, TX, region inform these operational strategies for health systems for the planning and management efforts of COVID-19. (PDF) - NEW!
- Optimizing Your Health-System Pharmacy Practice During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Lessons on Preparing and Adapting Your Health-System Pharmacy in the COVID-19 Crisis: Pharmacy leaders from Mount Sinai Health System in New York, NY, and Med Center Health in Bowling Green, KY, offer advice on how they're tackling COVID-19 at their institutions. (PDF)
COVID-19: Providing Outpatient Pharmacy Services in a Field/Surge Hospital: A Checklist of Considerations Shared by the Pharmacy Team at UNC Health: This checklist was compiled by the pharmacy team at UNC Health and may be helpful when determining whether to provide outpatient pharmacy services in a field/surge hospital. (PDF) - NEW!
Personal Protective Equipment
- Protecting Yourself, Your Patients, and Your Family: How to Optimize and Effectively Use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for Pharmacy Personnel During the COVID-19 Crisis: Staying current with updated recommendations and guidance will help keep everyone safe and minimize the spread of the virus. Follow these steps for effective use of PPE to protect pharmacy personnel. (PDF) - NEW!
- Personal Protective Equipment: The Facts About Protecting Yourself, Your Patients, and Your Family During the COVID-19 Crisis: The safety of pharmacy personnel is a top priority during the COVID-19 pandemic. Because there is no cure currently available for COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2), prevention is the best measure of containing the infection. (PDF) - NEW!
- COVID-19: Protecting Pharmacy Personnel: A Guide to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) During the Pandemic: This guide provides information on the proper use of PPE, types of PPE, and strategies for conserving PPE during this pandemic. (PDF) - NEW!
- COVID-19: Demystifying Testing for the SARS-CoV-2 Virus: Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 Testing: Testing for COVID-19, caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, is rapidly evolving. As pharmacists work on the front line of the COVID-19 response, it is important to understand testing options, how to know which tests are recognized by FDA, and what qualifies a test to be provided in a pharmacy setting. (PDF)
- Pharmacists’ Authority to Test for COVID-19: Understanding HHS Guidance on Pharmacists’ Authorization to Order and Administer Tests for the SARS-CoV-2 Virus: On April 8, 2020, HHS released guidance authorizing pharmacists to order and administer certain tests authorized by FDA for COVID-19. Many questions have emerged based on this guidance, and APhA is collaborating with pharmacy and government stakeholders to advocate for pharmacists and clarify questions resulting from the guidance. (PDF)
- COVID-19: Vaccination Basics: A Guide for Pharmacists Vaccinating During the COVID-19 Pandemic: While scientists around the world work to develop a vaccine against the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2), many pharmacists remain on the front line, providing essential patient care services during this public health crisis, including vaccinations. Here are some FAQs about vaccinations. (PDF)
- Vaccines in Development for COVID-19: Vaccine development for COVID-19 is under way, with numerous vaccine candidates being studied in clinical trials. Pharmacists may play a key role in administering immunizations against the SARS-CoV-2 virus, when a vaccine becomes available. (PDF) - NEW!
- FAQs on Medications Being Studied for Potential Use in the Treatment of COVID-19: Know the facts and stay informed with the latest information regarding medications being studied for potential use in the treatment of COVID-19. (PDF)
- Key Facts About Commercially Available Medications Being Studied for COVID-19: Learn FDA-approved indications, contraindications, precautions, and counseling points for medications linked to FDA labeling. (PDF)