Meet APhA Executive Resident Isabella Blankenship
My name is Bella Blankenship, PharmD, and I have been beyond excited to continue my professional journey through a residency at APhA headquarters in Washington, DC. I am originally from Macomb, IL, and received my PharmD degree from the Drake University College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences in May. While at Drake, I had the opportunity to get involved in organizations I was passionate about across campus, especially the colleges of pharmacy and music. I was grateful to have a legislative internship with the Iowa House of Representatives, which ignited my passion for health care policy and advocacy. I learned so much about the practice of pharmacy and the art of caring for patients in my role as a community pharmacy intern over 4 years.
Outside of the pharmacy world, I love to spend time outside, try new restaurants and recipes, and spend time with friends and family. So far during my residency, I have enjoyed working on high-impact projects with the goal of advancing pharmacy practice, as well as connecting with national pharmacy leaders and learning every day at the home of pharmacy.
Five questions for Bella
1. Which Disney character is most like you? I am most like Remy from Ratatouille, as he is determined to follow his dreams and is a fellow foodie!
2. What two items would you have on a deserted island? I would have to bring a speaker and iPod to listen to music. Music is a huge part of my life, and I wouldn’t be able to spend a day without it.
3. Which season is your favorite? Fall is my favorite season! I love the cooler weather while still being able to spend time outside.
4. What is your favorite meal? It would have to be the spinach pie from my favorite pizza spot in my hometown. I have yet to find something similar in DC!
5. What have you enjoyed most as a Practice resident? I have absolutely loved my time in the residency program so far! I have gained exposure to many areas in association management while still focusing on my passions in practice and government affairs, and grown my network both in and outside of APhA.
For more information on the APhA Executive Postgraduate Training Program and how to apply for the 2023-2024 cohort, go to www.pharmacist.com/Career/Residencies/APhA-Executive-Post-Graduate-Training.