APhA seeks candidates for the 2020 APhA Election. Applications are now being accepted through October 25, 2019.
*The deadline has been extended to October 25, 2019, due to technical difficulties accessing the application site.* Please contact email@example.com should any difficulties occur accessing the application site.
APhA is seeking candidates for the offices of President-elect and Trustee (2 positions) for the APhA Board of Trustees. Review the President-elect and Trustee application for more information, including application requirements, desired characteristics, responsibilities, time commitment, and more.
APhA-APPM is seeking candidates to serve on the Executive Committee for the position of Member-at-Large (3 positions) and New Practitioner Officer. Review the APhA-APPM Officer application to learn more about the desired characteristics and responsibilities for each position. APhA-APPM is also seeking members to serve as Coordinator-elects for the following Special Interest Groups (SIGs): Care of Underserved Patients, Compounding, Diabetes Management, Immunizing Pharmacists, Medical Home/ACO, Medication Management, Nuclear Pharmacy Practice, Pain, Palliative Care and Addiction, Preceptor, and Transitions of Care. Review the APhA-APPM SIG Coordinator-elect application to learn more about the desired characteristics and responsibilities for each position.
APhA-APRS is seeking candidates to run for President-elect, Postgraduate Officer, and Chair-elect for each of the Academy’s Sections: Basic Sciences, Clinical Sciences and Economic, Social, and Administrative Sciences (ESAS). Review the APhA-APRS Officer application to learn about the desired characteristics and responsibilities for each position.
2020 Election timeline
*Extended Deadline* - October 25, 2019 -- Application deadline for the 2020 APhA Election cycle
November/December 2019 -- APhA Committee on Nominations meets; election slate announced
March 20-23, 2020 -- Slated candidates attend APhA2020 in Washington, DC
March 20, 2020 -- May 11, 2020 -- Voting period for 2020 election
June 2020 -- APhA Election results announced
March 12-15, 2021 -- Successfully elected candidates installed at APhA2021 in Los Angeles, CA
Congratulations to the successful candidates of the 2019 APhA Election!
APhA will install the newly elected candidates at APhA2020 in Washington, DC.
APhA is pleased to welcome the following individuals into the APhA Board of Trustees:
- 2020-2021 APhA President-elect: Sandra Leal, PharmD, MPH, FAPhA, CDE, of Tucson, AZ
- 2020-2023 APhA Trustees: Randy McDonough, BS, PharmD, MS, BCGP, BCPS, FAPhA, RPh, of Iowa City, IA, and Alex C. Varkey, PharmD, MS, FAPhA, of Houston, TX.
- 2020–2021 APhA Honorary President (elected posthumously): Tery Baskin, PharmD, FAPhA, of Little Rock, AR.
APhA is pleased to welcome the following individuals into APhA-APPM and its Special Interest Groups:
- 2020-2021 APhA-APPM President-elect - Wendy Mobley-Bukstein PharmD, BCACP, CDE, CHWC, FAPhA
- 2020-2022 APhA-APPM Executive Committee Members-at-Large - Nicholas Dorich PharmD (Pair I); Dr. Ashley Lorenzen, PharmD, BCPS (Pair II); and Emily Prohaska, PharmD, BCACP, BCGP (Pair III).
- 2019-20 Compounding SIG Coordinator-elect - Jon Pritchett, PharmD, RPh;
- 2019-20 Diabetes Management SIG Coordinator-elect - Megan Coleman, PharmD, BCPS, CPP;
- 2019-20 Immunizing Pharmacists SIG Coordinator-elect Gretchen Kreckel Garofoli, PharmD, BCACP;
- 2019-20 Medical Home / ACO SIG Coordinator-elect - Sara Wettergreen, PharmD, BCACP;
- 2019-20 Medication Management SIG Coordinator-elect - Laly Havern, MS, BCACP;
- 2019-20 Nuclear Pharmacy Practice SIG Coordinator-elect - Dao Le, BCNP, FAPhA;
- 2019-20 Preceptor SIG Coordinator-elect - Morgan Herring, PharmD, BCPS;
- 2019-20 Transitions of Care SIG Coordinator-elect - Jessica Wooster, PharmD, BCACP.
APhA is also pleased to welcome the following individuals into office for APhA-APRS:
- 2020-21 Basic Sciences Section Chair-elect - William J. McLaughlin, RPh, PhD;
- 2020-21 Clinical Sciences Section Chair-elect- Lawrence J. Cohen, PharmD, BCPP, FASHP, FCCP, FCP, DNAP; and
- 2020-21 Economic, Social and Administrative Sciences (ESAS) Section Chair-elect - Henry N. Young, PhD.
About the APhA election
The APhA Election includes elections for the APhA Board of Trustees -- President-elect and two Trustees -- and for the leadership of APhA-APPM and APhA-APRS. The APhA Honorary President is also determined during this election. The results of the election for the Board of Trustees and for the leadership of APhA-APPM and APhA-APRS are certified by the Committee of Canvassers, which is appointed by the APhA President.
Slating and introduction of candidates
Candidates for the Board of Trustees are slated by the APhA Committee on Nominations in early December and are introduced to Annual Meeting attendees at the First Session of the APhA House of Delegates. Annual Meeting attendees also have the opportunity to interact with these candidates at caucus events and "Meet the Candidates" sessions.
The APhA-APPM Committee on Nominations is composed of the APhA-APPM President, who serves as the chair of the committee, and the four Immediate Past Presidents of the academy. During years when there is a President-elect of the academy, the President-elect will serve as an ex-officio member of the committee. The APhA-APRS Committee on Nominations is composed of the APhA-APRS President, who serves as chair of the committee, and the three APhA-APRS Section Chairs. The election slates for these two Academies are finalized in December. Annual Meeting attendees have the opportunity to interact with APhA-APPM and APhA-APRS candidates at two "Meet the Candidates" sessions.
All individuals interested in applying to serve on the APhA Board of Trustees are required to review the APhA Conflict of Interest Statement and submit a corresponding Disclosure and Confidentiality Statement to APhA’s Legal Counsel.
Other APhA elections
The leadership of the APhA Academy of Student Pharmacists (APhA-ASP) -- President-elect, Speaker of the House, and Members-at-Large -- are elected at the final session of the APhA-ASP House of Delegates, held during the APhA Annual Meeting.
The Speaker-elect of the APhA House of Delegates is elected every even year by the APhA House of Delegates. The Speaker-elect serves until the end of the Annual Meeting following his/her election, at which time he/she is installed as Speaker and serves for two additional years.
*With the exception of those members appointed to serve in the APhA House of Delegates, student pharmacists are not eligible to vote in the APhA Election. Per election guidelines, the list of eligible voters is finalized 30 days prior to the opening of the official voting period. Individuals who join APhA within 30 days of the opening of the official voting period are not eligible to vote in the current election.