Meet APhA Executive Resident Morgan Carson-Marino
Hi, I am Morgan Carson-Marino, PharmD, from Orlando, FL. My education includes a bachelor of science degree in biomedical sciences from the University of Central Florida, a master’s degree in medical sciences from the University of Florida (UF) College of Medicine, and a PharmD degree from the UF College of Pharmacy. I worked 2 years as a pharmacy intern at Walgreens while attending pharmacy school, and I am very proud to have served the community as a certified vaccinator during the coronavirus pandemic. I have also participated in legislative, policy, and advocacy engagement. For example, I was a 2022 American Society of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics Washington Fellow, where I met with state representatives and senators to discuss health care spending (e.g. NIH budget), evidence-based practice policies, and how animal research is used to develop treatment for injury and disease in humans.
Here at APhA headquarters, I enjoy engaging in association efforts to advance the pharmacy profession, bridge current health care gaps in patient equity, and create new and innovative career opportunities for pharmacists in the United States and worldwide.
Five questions for Morgan
1. Which Disney character is most like you? I chose a few characters to describe me: Goofy, because he is tall and funny; Tarzan, because he is athletic, inquisitive, and has a love for animals, as well as he is loyal and brave; and Hercules, because my strength comes from a kind heart.
2. What two items would you have on a deserted island? Wilson, the volleyball from Castaway, and a fishing pole.
3. Which season is your favorite? I like summer because of the sunshine, day trips to the beach, and activities like hiking, swimming, and volleyball.
4. What is your favorite meal? An authentic Italian pizza pie.
5. What have you enjoyed most as the Member Relations resident? I have enjoyed the opportunity to develop and implement strategic goals that focus on member and stakeholder benefits, engagement, and management. My top priorities have aligned current needs of the pharmacy workforce by exploring unconventional and emerging career pathways and training opportunities. This effort maximizes the APhA Career Center’s impact on the pharmacy profession, connects pharmacy practice and member relations, and addresses the goals of our ongoing member engagement transformation project. I have also enjoyed participating in membership marketing materials, social media outreach, recruitment and retention, and other support operations.
For more information on the APhA Executive Postgraduate Training Program and how to apply for the 2023-2024 cohort, go to www.pharmacist.com/Career/Residencies/APhA-Executive-Post-Graduate-Training. Applications are due on December 31, 2022, by 12:00 am PST.