Why Establish a PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency Program? For Pharmacy Practice Sites
PGY1 community pharmacy residency programs provide value for practice sites in various ways, including:
- Demonstrating a practice site’s commitment to providing outstanding patient care in a progressive environment that includes a range of patient care services.
- Increasing the number of well-trained pharmacists prepared to work in expanding patient care roles and providing additional opportunities to recruit pharmacists.
- Supporting the professional development and job satisfaction of staff pharmacists serving as preceptors, enhancing retention.
- Keeping the practice site progressive through the introduction of new ideas, unique methods, and novel patient care activities by the resident and preceptor that generate new lines of revenue.
- Creating and/or enhancing advanced patient care services that may attract new patients to the practice site and promote customer loyalty.
- Exposing greater numbers of patients to the clinical expertise of pharmacists by elevating the level of patient care provided and increasing outreach and engagement with the community.
- Changing the public’s perception of pharmacists and ultimately resulting in greater demand for patient care services aligned with the profession’s vision of pharmacists as advanced patient care providers through the patient care services delivered by the resident in conjunction with other pharmacists at the practice site.
- Creating opportunities to develop relationships with other members of the health care team to expand collaborative care opportunities for the practice site.
- Inspiring the entire pharmacy staff with the resident’s enthusiasm and energy, resulting in more effective, efficient, and high-quality care.