Unique Spaces & Enhancements
Ernest Mario Rotunda
One of the highlights of the APhA headquarters, the Ernest Mario Rotunda is a central domed space with a deep semicircular recess that highlights the statue of William Procter Jr., the Father of American Pharmacy. John Russell Pope designed this domed space with skylights and ornate pendentives that are similar to his later Tate Gallery rotunda in London. Renovations to the rotunda include new lighting and improved acoustics. In addition, all dressed stone has been cleaned and re-pointed. One of the most significant changes to this grand space is the commission of two original bronze sculptures that convey the pharmacist's role in making medicines and making medicines work. Opposite the sculptures are two marble pedestals, one inscribed with the pharmacist code of ethics and the other recognizing Dr. Ernest Mario for his support toward the restoration of the rotunda.
In October 2007, Pfizer, Inc., gave the APhA Foundation Great Moments in Pharmacy, a collection of paintings depicting a comprehensive history of pharmacy. The collection was envisioned by George Bender and painted by artist Robert Thom (1915-1979). The paintings have been displayed at the Smithsonian Institution where they were viewed by more than 300,000 visitors. Other museums that have exhibited the paintings include the Denver Institute of Arts, the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Oriental Institute of Chicago, and the Hotel des Invalides in Paris. APhA is privileged to display the collection in the Art Gallery of its Headquarters Building.
- Great Moments in Pharmacy Article by George Griffenhagen
- Great Moments in Pharmacy Painting Collection
APhA Awards Gallery
Made possible by the support of Schering-Plough, the Awards Gallery showcases APhA awards and honors award recipients. Individuals and organizations are recognized through the APhA awards and honors program for their lifelong support and contribution to the art and science of pharmacy; their provision of pharmaceutical care, leadership, and mentorship to the profession; and their dedication to ensuring appropriate use of medications. The gallery features bronze plaques recognizing all past award recipients and marble pylons dedicated to current APhA award recipients.
Bowl of Hygeia
Established in 1958, the Bowl of Hygeia Award recognizes pharmacists who possess outstanding
records of civic leadership in their communities. The award is presented annually by participating state
pharmacy associations, including those in the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. In addition to
service through their local, state, and national pharmacy associations, award recipients have devoted
their time, talent, and resources to a wide variety of causes and community service. The Bowl of Hygeia
is the most widely recognized international symbol for the pharmacy profession and is considered one
of the profession’s most prestigious awards. The APhA Foundation, APhA, and the National Alliance
of State Pharmacy Associations (NASPA) have partnered to carry on the grand tradition of the Bowl of
Hygeia. The awards are sponsored by the APhA Foundation, APhA, and NASPA and conferred by the
participating state pharmacy associations.
Joseph D. Williams Library
The APhA library was initially created in 1934 at the inception of the original headquarters
building. Over the last several decades, it has served the informational needs of APhA
staff, pharmacists, students, researchers, government agencies, reporters, and consumers
worldwide. The library continues to provide access to resources promoting the pharmacy
profession and innovative practices. In 2009, as part of the renovation and through the
generosity of Joseph D. Williams, the library was greatly enhanced and named in his honor.
Williams devoted a 46-year career to Warner-Lambert during which he was president and
CEO from 1979 to 1991. In 1980, APhA awarded Williams the Remington Honor Medal
for his enormous contributions to the pharmacy profession, and in 2004, he was elected as
the APhA Honorary President.
George B. Griffenhagen Archives
In 2009, APhA’s Board of Trustees renamed the APhA Archives to honor the longstanding
commitment by George B. Griffenhagen to maintaining the profession’s historical records.
The George B. Griffenhagen Archives continue to be a valuable repository for documentary
materials associated with the role of the Association in the profession of pharmacy.
Griffenhagen has been the keeper of American pharmacy’s historical records since 1953 when
he commenced organization of the archives.
Pulido-Walker Board Room
The space that once housed the APhA library has been transformed into a multifunctional, state-of-the-art board room. The space includes enhanced audio, video display, and video conferencing systems; all operate via a unified control system. The high-output LCD projector projects onto a 164-inch roll-down screen. Pictures of APhA Past Presidents and a reproduction of the Founding of the American Pharmaceutical Association painting adorn the walls.
Procter & Gamble Media Room
Located on the first floor of the new building, the Procter & Gamble Media Room will be used for various APhA communication functions such as media interviews, video production, and news conferences. The media content developed will include continuing education, interviews with association leaders and staff, author commentary on pharmacy publications, and demonstrations of techniques critical to patient counseling on the proper use of medications.
Federal Pharmacy Conference Room
Located on the sixth floor, the Federal Pharmacy Conference Room was established in honor of the outstanding contributions of federal pharmacists to improving the health of the nation; the conference room serves as a reminder to all who gather there of the men and women who are committed to the health and freedom of the United States. The room features a glass wall etched with the seal from each of the service areas and four plaques recognizing Distinguished Federal Pharmacy Award recipients, Federal Pharmacy Consultants, donors to the Flagpole Memorial, and donors to the Federal Pharmacy Conference Room.
Women in Pharmacy Conference Room
Located on the sixth floor, the Women in Pharmacy Exhibit and Conference Room highlights many firsts for women in U.S. pharmacy, including innovating pharmacy practice as entrepreneurs, advocating for health care, serving in federal pharmacy and proving leadership in national pharmacy organizations. Dating back to the 1700s, photographs of 17 women hang on the exhibit wall. The distinguished women featured on the exhibit’s history tree are a sampling of the many women who have contributed to pharmacy as a vital health care profession
The East Terrace is an outdoor, bi-level structure that will be heavily used for gatherings of the Association and other groups. The Terrace is flanked by the historic Pope building on the west side and the National Academy of Sciences, including the Albert Einstein Memorial, on the east side. To the south, the Terrace provides one of the many spectacular views of the National Mall and the Lincoln Memorial. The East Terrace also provides the opportunity for individuals to buy a paver to create a lasting legacy while acknowledging a friend, family member, or mentor.
Potomac View Terrace
The Potomac View Terrace offers a panoramic view of downtown Washington, DC. To the east, one can see the United States Capitol and the Washington Monument; to the south, the Jefferson Memorial and Lincoln Memorial; and to the west, Arlington House, the United States Air Force Memorial, and the Potomac River. The Terrace can accommodate 600 guests and offers a unique space for receptions and meetings. For information on renting out the Potomac View Terrace visit http://www.potomacviewterrace.com.
Located on the west side of APhA headquarters, the Botanical Garden is accessible to the public and to the many annual visitors to the National Mall. The purpose of the Botanical Garden is to display and promote plants and botanicals that have medicinal and healing properties. Plants displayed in the garden are indigenous to the mid-Atlantic area. Take an interactive tour of the Garden.