Diabetes Management SIG
The mission of the APhA-APPM Diabetes Management Special Interest Group (SIG) is to create a support network for pharmacists and student pharmacists who share an interest in the area of diabetes management. The APhA-APPM Diabetes Management SIG will allow pharmacists and student pharmacists in this area of practice to connect with others in the field and provide opportunities to discuss up-to-date disease management information.
Members of the APhA-APPM Diabetes Management SIG will be able to share education materials, clinical updates, training events, and other information related to the care of patients with diabetes. The APhA-APPM Diabetes Management SIG will also be a home for pharmacists and student pharmacists to share planning information for community service events geared towards patients with diabetes.
APhA-APPM Diabetes Management SIG Leaders
2020-21 SIG Committee Leaders
- Communications Committee Co-Chairs: Troy Lewis & Hanna Sung
- Education Committee Co-Chairs: Nic Lehman & Pooja Patel
- Professional and Student Affairs Committee Co-Chairs: Bernadette Asias-Dinh & Aimee Dawson
APhA-APPM Diabetes Management SIG Committees
The Diabetes Management SIG Committees and their charges for 2020-21 are:
- Appoint 2 ENGAGE moderators.
- Create and post a monthly "In Case You Missed It" (ICYMI) to ENGAGE.
- Create and post a bimonthly patient case to ENGAGE.
- Create and post a bimonthly SIG member feature to ENGAGE.
- Coordinate the Annual APhA-APPM SIG PAC Challenge in Fall 2020.
- Assist the SIG Coordinator in recommending topics, practice gaps, clinical updates, and potential speakers to the APhA Education Department.
- Identify topics and coordinate speakers for the biannual webinar series.
- Create and post a quarterly journal club to ENGAGE.
- Create and post diabetes guideline updates.
APhA-APPM Diabetes Management SIG Professional/Student Affairs Committee
- Suggest, draft, and submit one new business item to APhA-APPM for consideration by the 2021 House of Delegates.
- Develop and maintain a library of documents and practice resources relevant to the SIG membership.
- Create and post features of the APhA-ASP Operation Diabetes regional and national winners.
- Develop a framework to engage APhA-ASP Operation Diabetes programs with the SIG.
- Identify and implement strategies to engage student pharmacists in a meaningful way within the SIG.
Call for Committee Leaders and Members
The call for committee leaders and members has ended. Please contact the Coordinator if you are interested in volunteering your time.
APhA-APPM Diabetes Management SIG Resources
BC-ADM vs. CDE
Are you looking to make a difference in your career by having a large impact on the lives of patients with diabetes? Obtaining diabetes credentials from an accredited program can offer pharmacists a pathway for professional development in their care delivery. Learn the difference between the American Diabetes Educator's Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) and the American Diabetes Association's Board Certified Advanced Diabetes Management (BC-ADM) designations to see which one may be right for you. This resource was created by members of the APhA-APPM Diabetes Management Special Interest Group (SIG). (Note: APhA members must log in to download this PDF.)
The Skinny on Weight Loss Webinar
Review the home study version of the APhA-APPM Diabetes Management SIG's webinar, The Skinny on Weight Loss: A Review of Pharmacological Obesity Management. This webinar reviews pharmacologic anti-obesity options, including the newest agents and their place in therapy for the management of overweight/obese adults. Brush up on how to differentiate between weight loss agents and learn when agents are appropriate to use in various patient populations.