Diabetes Management SIG
The mission of the APhA-APPM Diabetes Management Special Interest Group (SIG) is to create a support network for pharmacists and student pharmacists who share an interest in the area of diabetes management. The APhA-APPM Diabetes Management SIG will allow pharmacists and student pharmacists in this area of practice to connect with others in the field and provide opportunities to discuss up-to-date disease management information.
Members of the APhA-APPM Diabetes Management SIG will be able to share education materials, clinical updates, training events, and other information related to the care of patients with diabetes. The APhA-APPM Diabetes Management SIG will also be a home for pharmacists and student pharmacists to share planning information for community service events geared towards patients with diabetes.
APhA-APPM Diabetes Management SIG Leaders
SIG Committee Leaders
- Communications Committee
- Chair: Megan Coleman
- Co-Chair: Angela Olenik
- Education Committee
- Chair: Nic Lehman
- Co-Chair: Scott Coon
- Professional and Student Affairs Committee
- Chair: Aimee Deitle
- Co-Chair: Molly Obermark
APhA-APPM Diabetes Management SIG Committees
The Diabetes Management SIG Committees and their charges for 2018-19 are:
APhA-APPM Diabetes Management SIG Communications Committee
Purpose: Promote SIG discussion and SIG-related events.
- Appoint 2 ENGAGE moderators
- Post bimonthly ICYMI to ENGAGE
- Post quarterly patient cases
- Monthly or bimonthly SIG member feature
- APhA2019 Diabetes-related topic suggestions to be compiled and sent to the Education Committee
- Identify topics and coordinate speakers for biannual webinar series
- Post quarterly journal club
- Guideline updates (2018-2019)
APhA-APPM Diabetes Management SIG Professional/Student Affairs Committee
Purpose: Address issues of pharmacy practice and diabetes management relevant to the SIG, facilitate student involvement within the SIG, and mentor student pharmacist SIG members.
- Identify barriers to practice for pharmacists
- Identify resources for pharmacists practicing in DM to overcome barriers and post to ENGAGE
- Lead the SIG PAC Challenge for fall 2018
- Recommend potential policy topics/statements for consideration/potential submission to APPM
- Highlight APhA-ASP Operation Diabetes regional and national winners
- Lead the DM SIG Student Mentorship program with assistance from APhA Staff
APhA-APPM Diabetes Management SIG Resources
BC-ADM vs. CDE
Are you looking to make a difference in your career by having a large impact on the lives of patients with diabetes? Obtaining diabetes credentials from an accredited program can offer pharmacists a pathway for professional development in their care delivery. Learn the difference between the American Diabetes Educator's Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) and the American Diabetes Association's Board Certified Advanced Diabetes Management (BC-ADM) designations to see which one may be right for you. This resource was created by members of the APhA-APPM Diabetes Management Special Interest Group (SIG). (Note: APhA members must log in to download this PDF. )
The Skinny on Weight Loss Webinar
Review the home study version of the APhA-APPM Diabetes Management SIG's webinar, The Skinny on Weight Loss: A Review of Pharmacological Obesity Management. This webinar reviews pharmacologic anti-obesity options, including the newest agents and their place in therapy for the management of overweight/obese adults. Brush up on how to differentiate between weight loss agents and learn when agents are appropriate to use in various patient populations.