Care of Underserved Patients SIG
The mission of the APhA-APPM Care of Underserved Patients SIG is to facilitate a network of practitioners, administrators, and educators who provide care for underserved patient populations and utilize the expertise and resources of that network to empower all pharmacists to provide patient-centered care to underserved patient populations.
The purpose of the APhA-APPM Care of Underserved Patients SIG is to provide a professional community of pharmacists who are currently practicing within or plan to be involved in caring for underserved patient populations. This may include clinical practice sites or volunteer work with federally-qualified health centers (FQHCs), free & charitable health clinics, 340B pharmacies, or other community-based pharmacy settings, such as community pharmacies. The purpose of this community is to assist pharmacists in identifying and sharing resources for underserved patients, helping pharmacists develop new sustainable services in these practice settings, teaching pharmacists, students and/or residents about caring for underserved populations, investigating reimbursement opportunities, and performing research in these practice settings.
APhA-APPM Care of Underserved Patients SIG Leaders
2018-19 SIG Committee Leaders
- Communications Committee: Jason Martinez
- Education Committee: Joel Marrs
APhA-APPM Care of Underserved Patients SIG Committees
The Care of Underserved Patients SIG Committees and their charges for 2019-20 are:
- Communications Committee
- Lead SIG members in discussions related to care of underserved patients, utilizing the APhA Engage platform to encourage members to share ideas and resources; and promote SIG related activities and events through the Engage platform, website, and other APhA communications.
- Education Committee
- Identify educational gaps among SIG members in regards to caring for underserved patients and provide opportunities to bridge the education gap through CPE, webinars, toolkits, etc.
- Advocacy Committee
- To monitor state and federal regulatory and legislative activity relevant to care of underserved patients; to solicit SIG member feedback in order to make recommendations to APhA regarding priorities related to care of underserved patients; and to engage SIG members to organize grassroots advocacy and public awareness campaigns.
Call for Committee Leaders and Members
The APhA-APPM Care of Underserved Patients SIG is seeking APhA members to serve as Co-Chairs and Members for their 2019-20 committees. Apply today!