APhA-ASP Generation Rx
Generation Rx is brought to APhA-ASP through a collaboration with the Cardinal Health Foundation, The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy and the APhA Foundation. It is an educational program that increases public awareness of prescription medication abuse and encourages health care providers, community leaders, parents, teens, and college students to actively work to prevent abuse. APhA-ASP is honored to partner with the Cardinal Health Foundation, The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy and the APhA Foundation on this educational program to expand the breadth and depth of this important initiative to the communities surrounding our nation’s schools and colleges of pharmacy.
We challenge every APhA-ASP Chapter to collaborate with pharmacists, educators, community outreach programs, and local organizations in your area to make a difference with Generation Rx. Visit the new Generation Rx Website at GenerationRx.org to explore new resources, videos, and information related to safe medication practices.
Generation Rx - Goals of Program and Partnership
- Increase awareness among pharmacists and student pharmacists about the opportunity to serve as educators and health information resources regarding prescription medication abuse prevention.
- Increase awareness among pharmacists, student pharmacists, and other healthcare providers about prescription medication abuse.
- Provide pharmacists and student pharmacists with the materials necessary to effectively implement a prescription medication abuse prevention program in their community.
- Encourage student pharmacists to implement prescription medication abuse prevention programming after graduation.
- To promote the profession of pharmacy and its valuable role in the community and in the healthcare delivery system.
Generation Rx was launched as an official APhA-ASP National Patient Care project in 2009. During the 2018-2019 campaign student pharmacists achieved the following results:
- 122 chapters participated
- 13,885 student pharmacists participated
- 837 faculty and staff members participated
- 519 pharmacy practitioners participated
- 1,735 Generation Rx events conducted
- 779 Generation Rx presentations conducted
- 740 non-presentation (activities/events/projects) conducted
- 216 medication take-back events conducted
- 186,283 individuals reached through education efforts
- 43,424 adults educated
- 40,256 teens educated
- 33,646 children educated
- 41,275 college students educated
- 27,682 senior adults educated
- 3,269,321 individuals reached through public relations initiatives
APhA-ASP recognizes each chapter that implements a Generation Rx program in their community. One Chapter from each of the eight APhA-ASP regions are recognized during Midyear Regional Meetings. In addition, the eight regional winners, along with one national winner, and two national runners-up are recognized during during the APhA Annual Meeting & Exposition at the APhA-ASP Opening General Session and in Student Pharmacist magazine.
Generation Rx Toolkits (Presentations, Handouts, Skits, Games and Resources)
- Elementary Toolkit
- Teen Toolkit
- College Toolkit
- Adult Toolkit
- Senior Toolkit
- Patient-Specific Resources
Do you have a personal story about a chapter educational event or activity related to drug disposal, community engagement, prescriber education, or a member of the public that you had a positive interaction with? We would love to hear about it...Share Your Story Today!
National Council on Patient Information and Education (NCPIE) Resources and Toolkits
- Taking Action to Prevent & Address Prescription Drug Abuse - A Resource Kit for America's College Campuses
- Maximizing Your Role as a Teen Influencer: What You Can Do To Help Prevent Teen Prescription Drug Abuse
- Not Worth the Risk - Even If It's Legal
- Talk About Prescriptions - Educate Before You Medicate
Generation Rx Award Report & Recognition
Recognition will be awarded to the top chapters nationally at the APhA Annual Meeting & Exposition. Chapters receive the following cash awards:
National Award Winning Chapter = $1,000
National 1st Runner-up = $750
National 2nd Runner-up = $500
Regional Award Winning Chapters - Regions 1-8 = $250
The top 3 chapters will receive an all-travel-expense paid trip to Salt Lake City, UT to present their chapter’s programming at the APhA Institute on Alcoholism and Drug Dependencies, held annually in June.
Generation Rx Report Submission
To be considered for regional and national awards for APhA-ASP Generation Rx activities, chapters can complete an essay and submit a separate chronological list for the project events (e.g.Generation Rx Chronological List) within the APhA-ASP Chapter Achievement Report form. Guidelines and information on the submission process can be found within the APhA-ASP Chapter Achievement Report information.
Generation Rx Regional and National Award Recipients
Join us in celebrating this year's accomplishments by watching the 2018-2019 Generation Rx Reflection Video.
Congratulations to the 2018-2019 award recipients!!
National Award: Wilkes University Nesbitt School of Pharmacy
National 1st Runner-Up Award: University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy
National 2nd Runner-Up Award: University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Pharmacy
Region 1 Award: MCHPS University School of Pharmacy Boston
Region 2 Award: University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy
Region 3 Award: East Tennessee State University Bill Gatton College of Pharmacy
Region 4 Award: The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy
Region 5 Award: University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Pharmacy
Region 6 Award: The University of Louisiana at Monroe School of Pharmacy
Region 7 Award: Idaho State University College of Pharmacy
Region 8 Award: The University of New Mexico College of Pharmacy
Thank you to the Supporter!