The award, established in 1981 in honor of Professor Takeru Higuchi, the first president of the APhA Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences, recognizes the highest accomplishments in pharmaceutical sciences, and is international in scope and stature.
Scientists selected to receive the award shall have demonstrated effective and persistent efforts in pioneering a new concept applicable to the pharmaceutical sciences. Should the conceptual development which is to be recognized have been the cumulative result of collaborative effort by two or three persons, the prize may be awarded to them jointly. In no case may the prize be divided among more than three persons. A period of at least three years shall elapse between awards, but the award shall only be made when a worthy candidate is identified. Recipients must be an APhA Member. Applications will be evaluated based upon the following criteria (listed alphabetically; not in rank order):
• Established “stream of research”
• International recognition
• Leadership and other recognitions
• New concepts/innovative research in pharmaceutical science
• Utilization/implementation of research by the profession, research community and other disciplines
The award is recognized no more than once every 3 years. The nominations process open in 2017 for the 2018 recipient. APhA publishes a call for nominations for the award. The following individuals are eligible to make nominations: (a) members and former members of the Takeru Higuchi Research Prize Selection Committee; (b) previous recipients of the Takeru Higuchi Research Prize; (c) current members of the APhA Academy of Pharmaceutical Research and Science Executive Committee; and (d) such other groups of individuals as may be identified by the Committee with the approval of the APhA-APRS Executive Council. The nominator is responsible for submitting a complete nomination.
The nomination is to include the following items:
• A letter from the nominator describing the most important achievements of the nominee and explaining why the nominee meets the criteria for the award
• The nomination should be based upon and accompanied by the writing(s) and other documents to which they refer. Other evidence in support of a nomination may be included, based on the concept originated by the nominee and relevant listings from the Citation Index. The Takeru Higuchi Research Prize Selection Committee is authorized to issue instructions to nominators when nominations are solicited
• Three (3) letters from scientists qualified to judge the nominee’s contributions
• A current full curriculum vitae or a detailed resumé of the nominee
The Takeru Higuchi Research Prize Selection Committee shall be composed of the five (5) most recent Presidents of the APhA Academy of Pharmaceutical Research and Science. The Committee is authorized and charged to seek such expert advice from recognized scientists in relevant disciplines as needed for the selection process.
Nature of Award
The award, presented at the APhA Annual Meeting, consists of a medal and a $2,500 honorarium. The recipient also receives a complimentary APhA Annual Meeting registration and reimbursement for meeting-related travel expenses, according to current travel policies and up to the maximum amount budgeted by APhA.
1981 Takeru Higuchi
1983 Gerhard Levy
1985 Sir James Black
1987 William I. Higuchi
1992 John G. Wagner
1994 Milo Gibaldi
1997 Joseph R. Robinson
2000 Leslie Z. Benet
2003 Ronald T. Borchardt
2006 not presented
2007 Dale E. Wurster
2010 not presented
2011 Valentino J. Stella
2014 not presented
2015 Philip S. Portoghese
2016 no presented