Volunteer to serve on a House Committee! (2018 Committee Reports Coming Soon)
The APhA Policy Committee is charged with analyzing specific topics assigned by the Board of Trustees and proposing policy on those issues to the APhA House of Delegates.
- Committee members meet in Washington, DC, over a weekend to develop policy statements.
- Committee members must prepare a report of policy recommendations for presentation to the APhA House of Delegates.
- Generally, the committee is comprised of 7-10 APhA members from a variety of pharmacy specialties with specific professional and policy expertise.
Policy Review Committee
The APhA Policy Review Committee is charged with ensuring that adopted policy is relevant and reflects the opinion of the contemporary pharmacy community.
- The Committee meets via conference call to determine whether adopted policy statements should be retained, archived, or rescinded. The Committee can propose New Business Items for those statements needing amendment.
- The Committee's review is divided into two parts.
- The committee reviews adopted policy statements according to the schedule outlined in the House of Delegates Rules of Procedure.
- The Committee reviews adopted policy topics assigned to APhA's Policy Committee.
- Generally, the Policy Review Committee is comprised of 7-10 APhA members from diverse pharmacy practice backgrounds
- Committee Roster
- Report of the Policy Review Committee
House Rules Review Committee
The House Rules Review Committee is charged to review and establish rules and procedures for the conduct of business at each House session.
- Committee members meet via conference call at least twice a year:
- Within 30 days after the conclusion of the Final Session of the House to review and approve language of the adopted House policy and to discuss observations of house operations for potential improvement.
- To review and approve the House of Delegates Schedule, make recommendations regarding the proceedings of the house, and to issue a Final Report to the APhA House of Delegates.
- The Committee is comprised of 6 APhA members from diverse pharmacy practice backgrounds and is appointed prior to the beginning of the First Session of the House. The Committee's terms concludes prior to the First Session of the House the following year.
Policy Reference Committee
The Committee is charged with providing greater participation in the policy development process and ensuring objective consideration of APhA member comments.
- Committee members listen to Delegate comments during the First Session of the APhA House of Delegates and during the Policy Committee Open Hearing at the APhA Annual Meeting. Following the Open Hearing, Committee members meet in an executive session to review comments and propose modifications to the original Policy Committee report language. The Committee then issues its final report during the Final Session of the House of Delegates.
- The Committee is comprised of the Chair of the Policy Committee, two other members of the Policy Committee and three or four new members.
New Business Review Committee
The New Business Review Committee is charged to review proposed policy submitted by Delegates and recommends action on those items.
- Committee members participate in the New Business Review Committee Open Hearing at the Annual Meeting and meet in an executive session to finalize their report to the House.
- The Committee is comprised of 7 APhA members from diverse pharmacy practice backgrounds.
Committees below meet during the election year (even year) of the APhA House Speaker at Annual Meeting:
The House of Delegates Committee on Nominations is charged to nominate candidates for the office of Speaker-elect of the APhA House of Delegates each even numbered year.
- The Committee is appointed by the immediate former (non-incumbent) Speaker of the House and is comprised of 5 members.
- The Committee only slates 2 candidates, but additional nominations may be made from the floor of the House. Candidates for Speaker-elect must be current delegates to the APhA House.
- The Committee presents its report, including the slate of candidates, during the First Session of the House. Each candidate is given 2 minutes to introduce him/herself to the Delegates.
- At the Final Session of the APhA House, each candidate is given 3 minutes to address the APhA House. The election for the office of Speaker-elect is conducted electronically at the Final Session of the APhA House of Delegates.
The Committee of Canvassers is charged to observe the administration of the electronic voting process for the election of the Speaker-elect during the Final Session of the APhA House. APhA committee members are appointed each even-numbered year to perform the responsibilities of this position.
Return to the House of Delegates Main Page