The purpose of the award is to recognize an exemplary contribution to APhA and the practice of pharmacy by a pharmaceutical manufacturer, provider of support products or service, or other entities such as wholesalers or chain corporations. The H.A.B. Dunning Award was established in 1982 to honor the former chair of the Board of Hynson, Westcott, and Dunning of Baltimore, MD, who as a longstanding APhA leader was instrumental in the funding and building of the APhA headquarters building in Washington, DC.
2018 recipient Community Pharmacy Foundation representative Philip Burgess with APhA Immediate Past President Nancy Alvarez
The nominee for the H.A.B. Dunning Award must have made a contribution or contributions to APhA and the practice of pharmacy in a calendar year preceding the presentation of the award. The contribution(s) shall fall in one or more of the following areas:
• Professional and consumer communications
• Pharmacy practice support
• Pharmacy education support
• Sales policy to pharmacists
• Marketing policies and philosophy
• New drug research and development
• Community service involving pharmacists
• Innovative products and service
The selection criteria will be weighted so that contributions to APhA would be 40% and to contributions to the profession would be 60%. The recipient should have had an impact on the profession nationally through their activities with APhA.
The nominator is responsible for submitting a complete award nomination at the following link: Award Nomination Form. The deadline for nominations is September 1. The nomination is to include the following items:
• A letter from the nominator describing the most important achievements of the nominee and explaining why the nominee meets the criteria for the award
• Letters of recommendation are optional; two letters are preferred with a maximum of six accepted
The selection is made by the APhA Board of Trustees based upon careful review of complete nominations.
Nature of award
The award presented at the APhA Annual Meeting consists of a jade crystal etching on a walnut base bearing the likeness of H.A.B. Dunning.
2018 Community Pharmacy Foundation
2017 Pfizer Inc.
2016 Kroger Co.
2015 CVS Health
2014 Cardinal Health and the Cardinal Health Foundation
2013 The Walgreen Co.
2012 Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, Inc.
2011 Cephalon, Inc.
2010 VaxServe, a Sanofi Pasteur Co.
2009 Procter & Gamble
2008 Merck & Co. Inc.
2007 Tyco Healthcare/Mallinckrodt
2006 Johnson & Johnson-Merck Consumer Pharmaceuticals Co. and McNeil Consumer Healthcare