Advertisement

APhA Headquarters Building Timeline

Share This Page
1912
  APhA General Secretary James Hartley Beal calls for "an Association home" in new APhA Journal.
1921
  Beal appointed chair of the Committee on APhA Permanent Home.
1922
  Lincoln Memorial dedicated and the National Academy of Sciences commences construction of its home.
1923
  Henry A. B. Dunning appointed chair of APhA All-Pharmacy Headquarters Building campaign.
1924
  First $25,000 check presented to APhA to construct APhA headquarters.
1926
  Dunning announces that pledges have exceeded $500,000 for APhA headquarters.
1927
  APhA membership selects Washington, DC, over Chicago as the location of the APhA headquarters.
1928
  Dunning selects and makes down payment on lots where APhA headquarters building is to be constructed.
1929
  APhA seeks closing of a street that would cross immediately in front of APhA headquarters and purchases more lots.
1931
  John Russell Pope selected as architect for the design of APhA headquarters.
1932
  Congress authorizes construction of APhA building and the closure of Upper Water Street.
1932
  Groundbreaking takes place on the front lawn of building with architect John Russell Pope in attendance.
1933
  Construction completed by George A. Fuller & Company.
1934
  APhA headquarters dedicated on front lawn with a message from President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
1938
  APhA Drug Standards Laboratory opens in basement to develop standards for the National Formulary.
1941
  Statue of William Procter Jr., "Father of American Pharmacy," unveiled in the APhA headquarters rotunda.
1943
  APhA establishes World War II National Quinine Pool for U.S. government in the basement of APhA headquarters.
1948
  Memorial flagpole honoring all pharmacists serving in wars of our country dedicated on front lawn.
1955
  APhA obtains support to close Conger Laundry at corner of C and 23rd Streets, thereby opening land for expansion.
1956
  APhA initiates plans to expand APhA headquarters with an east and west wing.
1958
  APhA exchanges land with the government to construct an annex immediately behind the original building.
1959
  Construction commences by Prescott Construction Company on annex to APhA headquarters. U.S. State Department opens immediately behind APhA.
1960
  APhA dedicates annex at a ceremony held on the 23rd-Street side of the annex.
1964
  APhA headquarters considered by U.S. government as the permanent home of the U.S. Vice President.
1974
  APhA sells the Drug Standards Laboratory and the National Formulary to the U.S. Pharmacopeia.
1975
  Saudi Arabia offers to buy APhA headquarters for its Embassy, but offer is declined.
1984
  APhA celebrates 50th anniversary of its headquarters with a ceremony attended by hundreds of members.
1988
  Glass front doors of APhA headquarters installed so that the bronze doors can be left open.
1993
  Memorial flagpole updated to recognize pharmacists who served in Korea, Vietnam, and the Persian Gulf.
2001
  Plans announced to purchase land behind APhA headquarters and replace annex with a new structure.
2006
  APhA staff moves out of APhA headquarters to allow construction to begin. Groundbreaking held for the new APhA headquarters.
2007
  Construction begins by Tishman Construction Corporation on APhA headquarters.
2009
  APhA headquarters dedicated on November 13.

 

Advertisement

Related Content

block-views-related-content-block